Accurate assessment and documentation of wounds is essential for developing a comprehensive plan of care. Photography now plays a key role in wound care. The use of digital photography has enhanced the reliability and accuracy of wound documentation. Though a wound assessment in patient files includes details such as location, depth, odor, condition of surrounding tissue and other details, a visual record can be worth even more.
Digital photography is becoming a more prevalent documentation tool. According to an article published in McKnight’s, forensic nursing experts recommend using photographs to document injury. The photos show both how an injury occurred and how it is healing.
A visual confirmation to the written record, these images:
- Facilitate better diagnosis
- Enhance clinical documentation
- Help to monitor the progress of wound healing
- Help prevent litigation in wound management
- Allow inter-disciplinary communication among the wound care team
Read more at Wound Wizard